After successful amphibious operations in the early days of World War II, the Luftwaffe decided to develop amphibious transport gliders with increased capacity and payload. One of them was the Go-242 glider designed by Gotha. It could carry 21 paratroopers or 2,400 kg of cargo, and its spacious cargo compartment could also carry a light off-road vehicle or an artillery gun. For their capacity and
also for their distinctive hull shape they were nicknamed “flying containers”. The defensive armament of the gliders consisted of 3-4 MG 15 machine guns. They were used in various sectors of the front line to transport personnel and supplies for the encircled German troops. In 1942 the production of gliders with the index “B” in several modifications, with non-retractable wheeled landing gear began.
The modification Go 242B-2 was distinguished by a pyramidal chassis with an oil-air shock absorber on the rear pair of wheels. Later, some of the gliders were converted into transport aircraft.